Saturday, June 30, 2007

Still Waiting for iGodot

I decided to spend the evening with my family and not rush to activate my iPhone. I wanted to give each (family and iPhone) my full attention. At 9:20pm I sat down to enjoy the activation iExperience.  

In retrospect, I can see 2 problems with my decision. First, that not all people holding this beautiful device and packaging would want to put off the iExperience for time with their loved ones. Second, the 3rd and most populous wave of new iPhone owners (think CALIFORNIA!!!) would be rushing to activate while I was reading The Hungry Caterpillar.

So, now it is over 9 hours and still no iJoy.  After many conversations with level 1 and 2 customer support it appears that "everything is working properly."  For those who know me well you can probably guess how this conversation proceeded. Tanika and her supervisor, Ms Murbin, both of Baton Rouge, Louisiana,  have been fielding questions ALL night. They were on the way home to get some well deserved sleep when my call arrived. 

Here is where my activation stands:
1. I do have an account number
2. I do have a phone number (won't list it here for obvious reasons)
3. I know how to get the SIMS card from the iPhone. When I told Tanika that it came completely out of the iPhone she said, "Wow, we weren't told that it came out! Okay, could you read to me the 20 digit number on the card?"  Even if this miniature card had such a number I would never have been able to read it.
4. Fortunately, the IMEI and ICCID #s are on the beautiful iBox (note to any other iPhone soon to be activated user)
5. Ms Murbin gave me her desk number and said that she'd be happy to revisit my account should I not be up and going when she returned to her desk tonight.

We all said our goodbyes.  When Tanika asked whether there was anything else she could do for me, we both laughed.


No comments: